Join us at King’s Theatre for the launch of Paul O’Brien’s new CD, recorded in Nova Scotia and produced by JP Cormier.
Paul will be joined by a team of amazing Nova Scotian musicians:
- Jeff Hennessy on piano
- Ken Shorley on percussion
- Scott Henderson on pipes and flute
- Millie O’Brien on vocals
Paul O’Brien is a UK-born singer-songwriter-instrumentalist based in Bridgetown, Nova Scotia, who spends his winters touring Europe. He has a gift for going straight to the emotional heart of the story and taking his listeners with him. The music has a new Celtic feel, songs that are steeped in the acoustic tradition but retain a freshness and relevance, songs that will touch your heart, songs about real people and situations, songs you can remember.
- “A working class poet with a knack for straightforward language held aloft by a sweet gift of melody.” – Boulevard Magazine
- ”Paul O’Brien is a modern day poet, a guardian of our history. He knows how to tell us, easily and gracefully stories that are serious, romantic, personal by turns; about love and nature and . . . well, life!” – Marc Phillip, Magazine Audio
- “The moment of listening has that feeling of being something special and rare. Paul has a perfect voice for his subjects, strong, warm and able to create a sense of intimacy with his listener. He calls us to action with songs that ring like anthems and makes us cry with reminders of social injustice.” Sheryl McKay, CBC Radio Two
O’Brien is a songwriter with deep roots and broad horizons, and he is included in the long tradition of folk/ roots artists everywhere as a teacher of the guitar, mandolin and bodhran, the traditional Irish drum. Since the beginning of his career, his influences have been diverse – everything from new English folk to Reggae. He has developed an eclectic folk style that is broadly appealing and not easily categorized. His experiences as an immigrant, musician, and teacher; his natural instinct for humour and storytelling; and his empathy for the underdog have all combined to produce an insightful and entertaining artist. Paul O’Brien’s concerts are dynamic affairs, and his connection with the audience is palpable. No room is too large or too small for him. In the space of one song, he can take his audiences from foot stomping energy to the absolute stillness of choked-back tears.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
General Ticket Price: $30
Member Price: $26
All prices include HST.
Online ticket sales for this event are closed.